Sunday, March 4, 2012

Blog Post 6

Randy Pausch

Randy Pausch



Wow! This video was great! I was not looking forward to watching it because it was so long, but I thoroughly enjoyed it! There were so many things that Dr. Pausch said that really made me want to know more. When he talked about there are different ways to say something to someone, this really stuck to me. Multiple times I have had teachers say things that were very discouraging just because of the way they said it. As a future teacher, I need to be cautious of how I approach a student, and how I will have to try to keep my students encouraged and interested in what they are doing.

I plan on being a math teacher. There are a number of students who do not like math. I think one of the important things that I took from this video was "to make sure people are having fun while they are learning something hard." I know that my favorite math classes are the ones where I enjoy the teacher and what we do in the class. I know as a teacher, I will have to figure out a way to make my math class fun and interesting while I teach a difficult subject.

Another thing I really enjoyed was when he was talking about his coach was being tough on him one day at his football practice. When the assistant coach told him "When nobody tells you you are doing wrong, they've given up on you," I thought this was so true. Not only do I want to teach, I want to coach as well. But this statement can be applied to the classroom. If I go in thinking that a student is hopeless and is never going to get it, and I begin to give up on him, that student will never accomplish the goal for the class. I think I learned that I need to have different teaching methods for different students, and that I never give up on a student.

Another quote that stuck out to me was, "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted." I had never thought about that, and it is a completely true statement. If we did not have learning moments from something we did not succeed at or did not get, we would never learn or know better the next time the situation arises. I think that Dr. Pausch hit the nail on the head with this statement about experience.

This video had a lot of great points. I would recommend this video to others to watch and hope someone learns as much as I did from the video even if the person wasn't going into the teaching field, there is something to learn from this video for everyone.

3 comments:

  1. Good Post!! I loved the video, it brought tears to my eyes. I was just amazed how up beat he was, even though it was his last lecture. How about a head fake. I really enjoyed that aspect of it. I was thinking that students would see the misconception of doing something, but learning it at the same time. Well, there I was learning during the video and did not realize it. I also liked his quotes. Some of my favorite was the same as you. I google his quotes and everyone of them he stated came up. You should check it out.

    I think it is good that you are going to incorporate some of his views in your classroom. Math is a tough subject for some. What made you decide to become a math instructor? Was it just the shortage? I believe if I had a math teacher, that had values as Randy Pausch did I would have succeeded more in that subject.

    Enjoyed your post,
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post! I also really liked what he said about experience being what you get when you don't get what you want. I think that is important to remember instead of just being disappointed when something doesn't go our way. It's easy to get discouraged, but not always easy to measure the valuable experience that we gain through trials. Excellent post and I hope to read more later!

    Levi

    ReplyDelete
  3. "...and that I never give up on a student...." An impossible dream. I haven't even seen half a dozen students in EDM310. Ever! And there are a dozen more that had hardly submitted any work. It's time to give up on them I think - at least for this round and until they decide they are interested and willing to try and learn.

    I am glad you found the video useful. It is a powerful statement.

    ReplyDelete