Friday, March 9, 2012

Blog Post 7

21st Century School




The Networked Student


This short video was different. It had a narrator who used paper cut outs to illustrate what he was talking about. His topic was about the 21st century teacher and student. The examples were of what a student goes through in a modern day class. It gives various examples of what he is required to do for the class. It shows that it is a lot of self-learning, and it is not a lot of the teacher teaching the class like the norm.

During the video the story shows the student having to learn different techniques, like the ones we are learning in EDM310. It shows that he is having to learn how to use the Internet for his benefit. He is able to find resources about his class and is able to learn on his own. He also gets to explore what others have learned about the same topic, and he creates a blog about all that he has learned so that others can observe what he has done.

At the very end of the movie, the question was, "Why does the networked student even need a teacher?" There are a few answers to this. Some of the answers consisted of the teacher is there to help them build the network and to encourage the student to take advantages of the many opportunities out there, be a guidance for the student just incase they get stuck at some points, to teach the student how to decipher good and bad sources from the Internet, and to teach them to be organized. There were more answers to the question, but these are a few of the answers. As a future teacher, I will need all of these qualities and more to be a successful teacher in the 21st century. I am eager to graduate and get started in education and be the best teacher I can be in the 21st century.

The 7th graders PLE was encouraging in a way because I thought to myself if a seventh grader can do it I can do it. I think this is a good thing for her. She was able to keep up with what is going on in classes and she had a her own personal stuff all on one page. Hopefully, once I get my PLN started, it will be as helpful to me as her PLE was to her.

2 comments:

  1. I would hope you are well on your way to creating your PLN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have started on it, and I actually added another site (PhotoPeach) from the blog post 8 assignment today. The PLN was confusing at first, and it is still a little confusing, but I definitely can tell it is useful.

    ReplyDelete