Friday, April 6, 2012

Blog Post 10

Educator=future written on a chalkboard.



The video "Do You Teach or Do You Educate" made its point very clear. I thought the music was overwhelming but overall the message was good. I intend to educate students in math once I am done with school. I intend on doing this by trying to make it the easiest I can because math is a hard subject. I need to be clear in my teachings and do more than the typical teacher and just read off problems to students, but instead really explain what they mean.

Another way I can be an educator is being there for the students and not just there in the class period. If I am able to reach out to the students outside the classroom, students will know they can trust me, and I am there to help them when they get stuck with a problem. I think I will do well as an educator, and I can not wait for the day when I get to start my career.

Tom Johnson's Don't Let Them Take the Pencil Home!

pencils



I felt as if Mr. Johnson approached the situation excellently. Instead of making a big commotion about the kids taking the pencils home, he tried to find a solution for the problem. This is a big thing I believe. Instead of just taking the pencils away, he gave them task to use the pencils for. He tried to come up with a reasonable solution instead of doing things drastically and taking away the children's pencils. It was a good post, and I think it is a great read for anyone who wants to be a teacher.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jessica!

    Good job on your post,

    I think that you really understood what the video was trying to explain. We can be teachers of a subject, but we can also be educators of the world.

    I think you missed the metaphor in Mr. Johnson's post. He wasn't talking about pencils, he was talking about technology (i,e, computers). Take a second look at the post and then you will see that it is a metaphor. Replace the word "pencils" with "computers", then you will see the metaphor.

    Good post Jessica,

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete